What is underfloor insulation?
Underfloor insulation is a method of heating a home using tubing that is implanted in the floor and is both robust and flexible. It is both efficient and cost-effective, with various advantages over radiators.
There are a variety of underfloor insulation systems to choose from. The optimum underfloor insulation solution for you will be determined by a number of factors, including the type of project, existing heating system, and energy source.
Insulation for floors by professionals
If you don’t feel comfortable lifting your floorboards yourself, a professional can do it for you, as well as install the insulation and replace the boards. Ecogenius is working with ECO 4 funding companies to get you professional installer and free services with 2 years insurance back guarantee.
What kind of floor do you have?
You must first determine the type of floor you have before deciding on the best technique to insulate it. This can be determined in two ways:
- You may be able to view wooden joists and the undersides of the flooring from below if your home has a basement or cellar. You have a suspended timber floor if this is the case.
- You’ll have to lift a corner of the carpet and underlay if you can’t get to the space beneath your floor.
Adding insulation to a timber floorBetween the flooring joists, solid insulating board or mineral fiber rolls (like those used to insulate lofts) can be installed. We install mineral fiber rolls up to 150mm. If your floor is on top of an unheated cellar or basement, you’ll need to snugly put the insulation between the joists and secure it with netting if necessary. Plasterboard should then be installed on the basement’s ceiling to offer fire resistance.
Suspended timber floor
It’s relatively simple to add underfloor insulation to suspended timber floor than the concrete floor. Make sure any damage from damp, rot, or infestation is fixed before installing more insulation under your floor, and that the new insulation does not block any ventilation apertures like air bricks.
Three factors must be considered when insulating suspended timber floors in an existing home:
- Thermal efficiency.
- Moisture management.
- Tightness of the air
Benefits of underfloor insulation
There are numerous advantages of underfloor insulation in your home. We look at the greatest benefits of floors, from energy savings to a luxurious experience.
- Adequately insulating your home means keeping more heat inside. Look around the house to see if you can detect any draughts. Then you can use floor insulation to get rid of them.
- You may save money by properly insulating suspended timber floors.
- Many older houses, unlike modern structures, were not designed with floor insulation, therefore by investing in floor insulation, you may bring your house up to date and enhance your EPC scores and help Ecogenius in our zero carbon mission.
How much will it cost?
The cost varies depending on whether you do it yourself or hire professionals. If you are eligible for the government’s ECO4 scheme award, which is allocated to help homeowners improve their home’s energy efficiency, it’ll cost you nothing. All material and services are free.
Call us to see whether you qualify for ECO 4 Grant. We’ll arrange a free, no-obligation assessment with one of our certified assessor who will come to your home to assess its appropriateness and advise you the best to get from ECO 4. It’s well worth your time.